Claim: House Majority Leader and Ilocos Norte 1st District Representative Ferdinand Alexander “Sandro” Marcos has been sentenced by the Supreme Court and removed from office.
Why we fact-checked this: The Facebook post containing the claim was published on February 10 and has since garnered over 1,800 reactions, 950 comments, and 300 shares. Similar claims have appeared on other platforms, including a blog post by the Trending News Portal.
The post claimed that the Supreme Court has issued an order against Marcos and that he is set to be removed from his post.
The caption said: “Nakarma na! Sandro wala ng takas! Korte Suprema may matinding hatol pirmado na? Pinatalsik na sa pwesto?”
(Karma has already hit! Sandro has no escape! Has the Supreme Court already made a decision that has been signed? Removed from his position?)
The page that posted the claim, “Duterte Active Supporters,” has over 110,000 followers and has been consistently sharing content critical of the Marcos administration alongside pro-Duterte narratives.
The facts: Contrary to the claim, there is no record of any Supreme Court verdict against Marcos. The official website of the House of Representatives continues to list him as the incumbent House Majority Leader and Ilocos Norte 1st district representative.
Furthermore, Article VI, Section 16 of the Philippine Constitution explains the process for disciplinary measures that can be imposed on members of Congress: “Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly behavior, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of all its Members, suspend or expel a Member. A penalty of suspension, when imposed, shall not exceed sixty days.”
Inhibiting from impeachment proceedings: The claim likely stemmed from Marcos’ recusal from the impeachment proceedings against his father, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
In January, two impeachment complaints were filed against the President. The first complaint, endorsed by Pusong Pinoy Representative Jett Nisay, wants the President removed from office for enabling the arrest of former president Rodrigo Duterte on an International Criminal Court warrant, among other offenses. The second complaint accuses the President of betrayal of public trust.
The younger Marcos said he would inhibit from all impeachment discussions involving his father to ensure that “no question may be raised about the fairness, objectivity, or legitimacy of the process.”
“While I am fully aware that the Rules of the House do not require my inhibition, and while I remain confident in the independence and professionalism of my colleagues, I recognize that leadership sometimes calls for restraint rather than participation,” the lawmaker said.
However, this recusal does not mean that he resigned from his position or was removed from his post, contrary to what the misleading Facebook post implies.
In February, the impeachment complaints against the President were junked.
Debunked: Rappler has previously debunked several false claims regarding the removal from post of various government officials because of supposed decisions by the Supreme Court:
– Reinnard Balonzo/Rappler.com
Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at [email protected]. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.


